Friday 10 August 2012

Its all coming together!

I'd like to apologize for my recent inactivity on the blog. Constantly updating social media is proving to be harder than I thought it would. Nevertheless, IM BACK! :)

I suppose the last few weeks have been crazy to say the least. Two weekends ago I participated in a race from Picton to Prinyers Cove. (Single handed of course) and came 2nd out of 7 boats! The wind was light which made the sailing frustrating but good training for the unpredictable winds of Lake Ontario. I realized after the race that I could be in the same light conditions for 4, 5 or 10 days on the Lake which made me remind myself to pack more food and water ;) The boats stayed over night and then raced back the next day. Even lighter winds made for a hot day on the water and I finished the regatta 4th overall.

Last weekend I had the opportunity to race aboard Woodjchuck. A J24 (same as Jacknife), from Belleville owned by my good friend Matt Jeffs. Lake Yacht Racing Association (LYRA) was a three day event in Oswego, NY. The three days of course racing showcased all aspects of Lake Ontario sailing from almost no wind to 45 knots the last day.

We finished the weekend with a 7th out of 12 which wasn't too bad considering this is our first season on the J24's. Sailing in Oswego made me think of how in just over 2 short weeks I will be sailing right by Oswego when I go around the lake. I shared Sail for a Cure with lots of people from Oswego and some said they might even come out and greet me on the water as I sail by! Later on in September Matt will be taking Woodjchuck to the J24 World Championship which is being held in Rochester, NY, of which I hope to be a crew.

Racing aside, Jacknife is coming together. I have an auto pilot which will steer for me when I'm sleeping, several solar panels to power my batteries! A good friend of mine has generously manufactured a solar panel mount which will hold my biggest solar panel off the back of my boat. Thanks to RAI in Trenton for donating the materials!!! This weekend will be spent drilling holes and wiring everything on the boat so I know its ready for the lake.

Sail for a Cure t-shirts are now for sale! For a $20 donation to the Cancer Society, we will give you a lovely Sail for a Cure branded t-shirt. Please contact me through email at macpherson.s@hotmail.com if you are interested :)

Above is me wearing the t-shirt with local Canadian Cancer Society chief fundraiser, Sue Rollins.

Until next time...

Fair winds,

Sandy


No comments:

Post a Comment