Saturday 25 August 2012

The time has come

Well today's the day I have been waiting for for about 6 months. Im about as prepared as I can be with the help of extremely wise parents and a few experienced sailors. The boat weighs probably 500 pounds more than she should but with a week and a half's worth of food, a thousand different safety items, and a few personal effects, 500 pounds aint bad. None the less, we're good to go!

I want to take the opportunity to thank everyone who has followed me thus far. My parents especially for being so supportive and actually letting me set sail for 4, 5, 6, even could be 7 days straight. The boys at the Prince Edward Yacht Club who helped turn Jackknife from a day sailor to a reliable long distance vessel. Kim Lander, Matt Jeffs and everyone else from the Bay of Quinte Yacht Club who not only organized the most successful fundraising dinner I have ever been to, but also for lending me a few sails and parts for Jackknife. Linda Austin, Bev Gorsline and everyone else who helped organize the Pancake breakfast! And last but certainly not least, all of the people who have donated to the Canadian Cancer Society!

Never in my wildest dreams would I have thought that Sail for a Cure would  be this big. To date Sail for a Cure has raised nearly $13 000 for the Hastings and Prince Edward branch of the Canadian Cancer Society! My original goal was $4500 so to feel that we almost tripled my goal, even before I sail, is an incredible feeling. I hope through Sail for a Cure I have inspired people to start an interesting fundraiser for the Cancer Society. You can walk, run, have a dinner, even Sail to support the Canadian Cancer Society! There possibilities are endless and all you have to do is imagine!

While I'm sailing, you can track me through the "GPS tracking" tab on this blog. The tracker updates about every ten minutes or so but if it's taking a little longer, please don't call the coast guard and tell them I have sank, rest assured, ill be fine :)

I will be reachable on the boat through 2 means of communication: VHF radio, for boat to boat communication, and my cell phone. Feel free to text me or even call me! My number on the boat is 16138482696.

Hope to see everyone at the Pancake Breakfast!

I'm off to Sail for a Cure!

Fair winds,

Sandy


1 comment:

  1. Sandy... we're all thinking of you and following along.... very proud, you're the Best! Linda & Gerry

    ReplyDelete