Thursday 14 June 2012

Launch the boat: Check!

Since I touched down at the inconveniently congested Pearson airport in Toronto three weeks ago tomorrow, I have been eating, sleeping, and breathing Sail for a Cure. (Literally and figuratively).

The first thing on the to-do list was simple: make a list. If you know me personally, you may know that my organizational skills are lacking. Climbing Mount Everest would be easier than locating a specific page in my high school english binder, and if my Sail for a Cure "to-do's" weren't written down and memorized, they would end up like my shakespeare notes.

Now to the point... the boat I will be using for Sail for a Cure has unfortunately been out of the water sitting on a trailer for a year and a half. No problem, I like a challenge! After clearing all the dead leaves, bees nests, pebbles, and a brave chipmunks off of the boat, a soon to be seaworthy vessel was uncovered. The first order of business was to sand all of the old paint off the hull and then put a fresh coat on. After what felt like an eternity of sanding and inhaling about a kilogram of paint dust, the hull was ready for a facelift. A trip to Pride Marine in Kingston, four hours of solid painting and whammo! Some minor cosmetic work to make her shiny and she was ready for launch.

She was launched in Waupoos due to water level concerns at the Picton boat launch which meant she needed to be sailed around to Picton that night in order to avoid the dockage fees. Im a student... anything to save a buck right? Nevertheless, myself and two crew members sailed her to Picton in minimal winds but what proved to be a successful voyage.

The boat now resides on a floating mooring in Picton Harbour almost directly across from the boat launch. Next step is to raise the Canadian Cancer Society flags and get training! My first long distance solo training run will be on June 23rd. More info to come.

Fair winds,

Sandy





No comments:

Post a Comment