Friday 22 June 2012

Waupoos Wabbit Wace

With the big departure date just over two months away it feels like more and more people are catching wind of Sail for a Cure! (Pun intended) The various questions I'm asked like, "Aren't you sailing around the world or something?" or, "I heard you were swimming across Lake Ontario!" are all very pleasing in the fact that many people semi-know what Sail for a Cure is. Despite the fact that i'm not a very good swimmer, and my, "First Lake Ontario, THEN THE WORLD!!!" attitude is slowly taking over, my trip will be limited within the constraints of Lake Ontario, and if all goes well, no part of me will be completely immersed in water. Nevertheless, there is nothing more satisfying then the approving nod or handshake I get after fully explaining Sail for a Cure.

My first long distance training sail will be this saturday in conjunction with the Prince Edward Yacht Club's annual, "Waupoos Wabbit Wace". The 27 nautical mile race course begins in Picton just outside the harbour limits, travels past the Glenora Ferry, around Cressy Point, Southwest towards South Bay, around the Western side of Waupoos Island, and finishes just off the Waupoos Marina docks.  Winds are looking to be a fresh 10 knots which means the race won't be too strenuous on the newly commissioned Sail for a Cure boat. With an estimated 8-12 boats on the start line, this should prove to be a great start to my training season!



Last minute preparations are being made tonight which includes none other than a bowl of mum's finest spaghetti, tons of food and water being packed on the boat, and a good night's rest.

The race is scheduled to start around 10:15 Saturday morning so if you're in the area please feel free to snap a picture of the little white and red boat flying the Canadian Cancer Society flag!

Wish me luck!

Fair winds,

- Sandy

1 comment:

  1. About a year ago when I was painting my pool deck, I used painter's tape to outline my pool. Now, I've taken the initiative to try to remove the tape, but it's now incredibly hard to remove the tape as it tears almost the instant I try removing it, probably because it has gotten wet and dry too many times.. . . Is there an easier way to remove the tape? Thanks..
    Marine decking

    ReplyDelete